Friday, March 31, 2006

Kimono

Jeff and I were invited to a special lady's house. Cho-me San is from our church here and she is the gaurdian of the Japanese culture. She teaches Japanese calligraphy, dance and flower arranging--besides being one of the cutest Japanese ladies around. She invited us to try on kimonos in her Japanese dance studio when the spring flowers were in bloom. That fell last week, so we joined her and a few other ladies for a special spring lunch. The bamboo we ate was baby bamboo right from her garden!

The kimonos were amazing. Perhaps I should rephrase that to say--what Cho-me San was able to DO with the silk was absolutely amazing. What seemed a shapeless pile of cloth took form into something really amazing.













































9 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Mary Ellen, you look absolutely wonderful in the kinomo! I love it! What a cute "japanese" couple you two make!

4/01/2006 1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffro, you look super cute too.

4/01/2006 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you two...

Thanks for the snapshot of your March... I love all the pictures! You guys take some great ones. The blossoms are gorgeous...I can see why they like to "brag" about them.

The kimono looks like quite an experience to put on...all those folds & extra fabric! But you're right, Cho-me San got it put together in a beautiful way! You both looked cute!

Love ya,
Vanessa:)

4/03/2006 12:35 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

you two look beautiful. um...okay, mary ellen, you look beatiful and jeff you are handsome. it's good to have a guardian of culture. happy spring!

4/05/2006 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really ARE turning Japanese!

Your opportunity to play dress-up looks very... laborious. Is it hot under all that?

What would our cultures do without such women (and men sometimes) to keep traditions alive. I think it's awesome.

4/07/2006 3:16 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

well it's official, you are really Japanese. you guys look really cool.

4/08/2006 11:28 PM  
Blogger Seth Ellis said...

Seriously Righteous Garb!

Now I know what's hip for hanging out at the tree of life--let's go. What's the crop this month?

Cheerio, Seth

4/10/2006 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
Wow, I remember the Kimono. My sister got to wear one, but I did not. How are you two doing?

I have been thinking of you and the school. Megumi just told me that there may be some financial difficulties.

send me an email if you can.
Andrew Worley

4/13/2006 10:46 PM  
Blogger CëRïSë said...

Wow... Jeff, I just saw your comment on my brother's myspace--and now I see that you know Andy Worley, too? What a small world--even if you are very far away (and looking the part!).

4/19/2006 7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home