Thursday, December 22, 2005

Snowflakes and Silence


Yesterday we had quite a snow, as you can see from Jeff's early morning photos. There's something so cozy about a snowy day. Even the Japanese streets were hushed with the snow.

This week was our last week of classes before holiday here at the English school. In the sprint to finish I didn't realize how it would feel when it was all over. This evening, as I was finishing my last class, I looked up at the snowflakes I"ve been making with my students all week. The classroom was quiet and I couldn't hear any students clamboring over each other upstairs in the lobby. Another silence had fallen.

So feeling a bit nostaligic about each-student-represented-by-a-snowflake and other silly things, I ran and grabbed my camera. My last student, a very cool teenager, was thrilled by the photoshoot. Unfortunately we weren't very good photographers and left half of our heads out of the picture.



I think winter is peaceful only because you know there will be spring. My classroom would feel so lonely right now if I didn't know that each of my students will be back to tear down the snowflakes and utterly destroy my nostolgic momentos. With that chaotic vision firmly in my mind, I turn my back and close the door--on to Christmas Break!

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Hooper said...

Hey, Nice Blog. Rebekah S. recommended me to this blog. Teaching in Japan? Sounds exotic and wonderful and scary. Happy New Year and I'll keep checking back in to see if the kids tear more than the snowflakes down... lol Happy New Year!

12/28/2005 7:56 AM  
Blogger Jessy, Greg, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

You guys take awesome pictures. I love looking at your blog! Hope you are having a good break!

1/03/2006 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home