Thursday, December 15, 2005

Semi-Creative



When Mary Ellen and I read "semi-tropical" in the description of our placement in Japan we really didn't understand "semi". That word means, now that we are out of the tropical and into the semi, that if I venture more than a foot or two away from our space heater, which I affectionatally call the guitar amp, my metabolism begins to slow and my body begins the slow process of death. Ok, maybe that was a little melodramatic, but that is how I feel. So I spend my time cuddling with the space heater. That is, until it runs out of kerosene and we have no one to take us to the gas station. We ran out this morning. I was ok, with my three layers of clothes and hot coffee, for a while. But then I got cold. I tried to convince myself that I was being a baby, that it was way colder in Nebraska and that I should just deal with it. But I've found that no matter how much colder it is other places in the world right now it doesn't change the fact that I am shivering.

This reminds me of a story that is completely unrelated but humorous none the less. This story involves my cousin named Greg, but I wont say that to protect this person. He was in class at Union College on a ridiculously cold Nebraska winter day. I think it was a science lab. He was quietly going about his task when he overheard a student walk into the room and exclaim "ahhh, It's freezing!" Another student immediately looked up from his work and responded "It's not that cold, look, I'm not even wearing a coat." This brave young chap, from the land of southern Canada, or as some call it, Minnesota, was wearing only a t-shirt. He was obviously very proud of this fact. My cousin, or, I mean, the nameless protagonist of this story, looked up and said what everyone in the room was thinking but not willing to say, "I'm sorry that you're stupid!" and he went back to his task. So maybe that does fit, once you're cold, you're cold. The fact that someone somewhere else is dealing with colder weather doesn't make you warm. I still laugh when I think of that story.

The problem is not that it's really that cold here, it's that they don't have central heating here in any of the buildings. It just doesn't exist. So we go outside to warm up sometimes. Today, sometime after the heater burned up the last drop of kerosene, putting a piece of toast in the toaster oven and beginning to shiver, I had an idea. The hair dryer blows hot air! I immediately ran into the bathroom and stuck the blow dryer under my shirt and had an uncontrollable smile light my face. After a few minutes of this bliss I remembered my toast. My Toast! I rushed out to save it from destruction but found that it was already black, and now cold. I needed it to be warm so that my cream cheese wouldn't tear the bread asunder when I tried to spread it. Ah, another idea. I couldn't put the toast in the toaster for more time or it would be even blacker, but if the hair dryer could warm me up couldn't it warm up the toast?

5 Comments:

Blogger jerry said...

When I was at Union that one year, I tried to save money by seeing how long I could go without calling the gas company to get my heat on in my apartment. I would open the oven and turn it on sometimes, and sit in front of it shivering.

I had 4 blankets and 2 comforters on my bed, and I would wear a pair or two of wool socks, long underwear and a hat (and sometimes my other winter clothes), but it still wasn't enough. Even when I would get in my sleeping bag under all that, I was still cold.

Finally I started filling 5 Nalgene bottles with hot water and snuggling with them under the covers - then I slept like a baby. But then in the morning they were all cold and almost frozen, like me. It was hard getting up those mornings.

I might be a wussy, but at least I never had to use a hairdryer.

12/15/2005 3:07 PM  
Blogger Jefu and Mari said...

I might almost thank you for the oven tip, Jerry, except that when I tried it I found out that Japanese ovens have a safety feature that turns them off when the door is open.

mary ellen

12/15/2005 3:39 PM  
Blogger jerry said...

Yeah, but I don't know which is "safer," burning down an apartment or freezing to death...

12/16/2005 1:02 AM  
Blogger Seth Ellis said...

So what kind of temperatures are you running there in semi-tropical land Jeff?

School was cancelled here in Vancouver due to snow, sleet, rain whatever. It's never really as chilly here as Nebraska got those 3 weeks a year when your nose hairs would break off.

Cheers, Seth

12/20/2005 5:36 AM  
Blogger Jessy, Greg, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

Oh yes, that does sound like something my husband would say. gotta love him! =)

1/03/2006 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home